Fish the West

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Call Me The Snake Charmer - By Donna S.

I thought I would share with you my weekend hunting experience.
By Donna S.



My family and I went to the “secret spot”, to hunt for chuckars opening weekend. We didn't bring radios this day, just our guns, some food in our camelbacks and water. The boys went high on the ridge, and they sent me down through the canyon filled with trees; willows, aspens etc. I was breaking through the willows when the ground took a sharp drop and I landed right on my rear. It hurt pretty bad since I was holding the gun in the air and could not break my fall. I have a very purple fist size bruise on my fanny. I picked myself up, rounded the corner and ran into several chuckars on the ground. I ran up to them( they wouldn’t fly) and followed several up a steep embankment, and climbed onto a rock ledge.


Now I was out of breath, my butt was killing me, and heart was pounding at an anaerobic state. Ratttttttttllllllllllee, rattttttttllllllle, I heard as I looked to my left. A damn rattlesnake was less than 10 feet from me, rearing up to strike. I slung my gun around and shot from my hip and missed the snake, which pissed him off even more. He came at me again, and this time I won, blew his head right off. Weird about snakes, they keep moving trying to get you even after they are dead. He had 8 buttons on the rattler which I left in place.

I did what any tough girl in the wild would do. I said a prayer for the snake( I really did feel bad I had to kill him) and then I got all emotional. No radio, so I watched very step off the hill, trekked about a mile and caught up with the guys. We did get a total of 5 chuckars, 3 quails and a snake.

Thanks Donna a.k.a. the snake charmer for what sounded to be an interesting outdoor experience!